Saturday, September 26, 2009

Heavy Hitters



Heavy Hitters. It's hard to compete with famous people. At times I think should never see, hear, or read their work again, as I can never create such daring and powerful output. But then, I would never be able to return to the things I have loved. These very same things have lured me down darkest rabbit holes, where I have often found almost indiscernible fragments of my own self. These very fragments whose images and dimensional properties continually appear one moment, then vaporize the next like an apparition. It is through this esoteric exercise that i begin to understand why Brancusi worked so much in stone and wood. They are real and exist with such tangible and knowable certainty- reductively hewn into form by the most powerfully willed little Rumanian ever to have sulked the earth. Right right feed your head.

2 comments:

Bohannon, Rachael said...

Yea... So far as the avoidance of "those who have said it better", for most of our ideas, someone will have had it before... but then the job of folks like you and I is to not let that stop us. Hekkai Seppa dedicated his book "Form Emphasis for Metalsmiths" to young ideas. The book itself is relevent to your interests as a "Crafts" person because it is about freeing forms from function. Renaming cup, renaming traditional objects of utility. The idea that the tradition having birthed the form can prevent the full creative potential of the form beyond its utilitarian role. Anticlastic and synclastic shapes...

And yea, pretty much "frackin'" everything can be a lamp. :P Yay for CAD.

Bohannon, Rachael said...

Oh right, the dedication... ha...to young ideas, as tender as they are, do not deny them fruition. Do not shrug them off, even if they are similar to others (tiles), where can you go with it *beyond* the point where others have stopped, satisfied.
I wish I had it verbatim because, of course, he said his own words better than I could.