Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Interstices!






Let me back up a little. I have been chewing on this tile project for awhile. The origins of it probably date back to ID 3D classes from my undergraduate- Analytical exercises, no doubt. One problem I always had with 3D exercises is that they have a way being essentially a pipeline to some sort of product. Can't a functionless form exist without alluding to a future coffee maker, cell phone, or dear god- a lamp? (shit, anything can be a frackin lamp) . Maybe, maybe not. Regardless, there are a lot of shitty tiles out there, and few really interesting ones. So I put some basic 3D skills to the test to see what can be done with tiling.
When grouped these become a collection of planes of light and shadow. This will change a bit when I glaze them, so we'll have to wait and see. In addition there is some interesting movement from the interstices as the base of each form is lofted and drafted to it's secondary surface.

1 comment:

Handy said...

these are beautiful. good work.